Saturday 29 September 2012

When, how and why did Victor Frankenstein fail his creature in the novel Frankenstein?

fails his
creation by recoiling from it in horror and being unable to love it once it comes to life. He
realizes too late that in his pride, his desire to emulate the divine, he has made a
mistake.

Yet his mistake lives. As a living creature, a species of a
human,craves the love of his creator and the love of other human beings. Nevertheless, the
horrified Victor abandons his creation. 

Victor compounds that first wrong by
agreeing to make a female companion for his monster, and then destroying that female creation,
fearing it will be more evil than the first monster and that a race of monsters will be born. At
this point, betrayed and abandoned, the monster vows revenge, wanting to hurt his creator the
way he has been hurt. 

Escaping to the solitude of the Arctic, the monster,
discovered by , speaks to him in poignant terms.  It is difficult not to sympathize with his
lonely plight:

Believe me, Frankenstein: I was benevolent;
my soul glowed with love and humanity: but am I not alone, miserably alone? You, my creator,
abhor me; what hope can I gather from your fellow-creatures, who owe me nothing? They spurn and
hate me. The desert mountains and dreary glaciers are my refuge.


No comments:

Post a Comment

To what degree were the U.S., Great Britain, Germany, the USSR, and Japan successful in regards to their efforts in economic mobilization during the...

This is an enormous question that can't really be answered fully in this small space. But a few generalizations can be made. Bo...