Sunday 8 April 2012

In "Everyday Use" by Alice Walker, what is the main conflict?

belarafon

's "" is a classic short story from
1973.

The main conflict in the story is between
materialism, representing the New, and
tradition, representing the Old. The culminating event of the story
occurs at the end, when Dee, the materialistic sister, fights with her mother about the
distribution of family quilts:

"Maggie can't
appreciate these quilts!" she said. "She'd probably be backward enough to put them to
everyday use."

"I reckon she would," I said. "God knows
I been saving 'em for long enough with nobody using 'em. I hope she will!" I didn't want to
bring up how I had offered Dee (Wangero) a quilt when she went away to college. Then she had
told...


]]>

No comments:

Post a Comment

To what degree were the U.S., Great Britain, Germany, the USSR, and Japan successful in regards to their efforts in economic mobilization during the...

This is an enormous question that can't really be answered fully in this small space. But a few generalizations can be made. Bo...