Thursday 4 October 2012

Is Gene redeemed in the end?

To be
redeemed means to atone for a sin or pay a debt: to make a wrong right and be in the clear.
Fifteen years after have deliberately wobbled a branch, causing Finny a fall that ultimately
killed him, Gene wants to believe he is redeemed and that all is OK. He recounts that Finny, in
his hospital bed, goes to lengths to excuse Gene. Gene accepts Finny's story:


It was just some kind of blind impulse you had in the tree there,
you didnt know what you were doing. Was that it?

Yes, yes, that was it. Oh
that was it, but how can you believe that? How can you believe that? I cant even make myself
pretend that you could believe that.

I do, I think I can believe that. Ive
gotten awfully mad sometimes and almost forgotten what I was doing. I think I believe you, I
think I can believe that. Then that was it. Something just seized you. It wasnt anything you
really felt against me, it wasnt some kind of hate youve felt all along. It wasnt anything
personal.

We...

No comments:

Post a Comment

To what degree were the U.S., Great Britain, Germany, the USSR, and Japan successful in regards to their efforts in economic mobilization during the...

This is an enormous question that can't really be answered fully in this small space. But a few generalizations can be made. Bo...