Thursday 2 August 2012

Why does the narrator of "Araby" change?

A crucial concept to
understand in this excellent short story is what is known as an "epiphany." In the
collection of short stories of which this is a part,creates characters that all have some form
of epiphany, which can be defined as a sudden moment of insight or revelation when characters
learn something about themselves and their place in the world. Let us consider how and why this
change occurs in "."

We are presented to a narrator who is
shockingly Romantic. In his mind, he turns his trip to the bazaar into a quest for the holy
grail. He transforms Mangan's sister into some kind of Arthurian lady and his life is dominated
by his feverish imaginings. Consider the following quote:


These noises converged in a single sensation of life for me: I imagined that I bore my
chalice safely through a throng of foes. Her name sprang to my lips at moments in strange
prayers and praises which I myself did not understand. My eyes were often full of tears (I could
not tell why) and at times a flood from my heart seemed to pour itself out into my
bosom.

However, in spite of all his imagination, he
cannot but be struck by the banal nature of the bazaar when he finally arrives there. It seems
symbolic that he experiences his epiphany after the lights are turned out in the bazaar, perhaps
symbolising how his childhood fantasies had been extinguished. Note what constitutes his
epiphany:

Gazing up into the darkness I saw myself as a
creature driven and derided by vanity; and my eyes burned with anguish and anger.


The boy realises how he has been seduced and compelled to act by
vanity, and he realises just how illusory his dreams have been. As he cries wih "anguish
and anger," we realise that he is growing up and leaving his childish and Romantic part
behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To what degree were the U.S., Great Britain, Germany, the USSR, and Japan successful in regards to their efforts in economic mobilization during the...

This is an enormous question that can't really be answered fully in this small space. But a few generalizations can be made. Bo...