Friday 12 April 2013

What are some quotes about violence in adolescents in The Catcher in the Rye?

In
, there are many instances of violence perpetrated by and against . One of
the critical cases is not a scene in the book but told in summary by Holden about his
past.

Throughout the story, Holden continues to come back to the story of his
brother, . Allie was Holdens younger brother who died of leukemia years before. Holden has
idealized Allie in his head, talking about how he was the best and kindest of his family members
and seeing Allie as virtually perfect.

One of Holdens only violent episodes
happens on the night that Allie died. Holden recounts the story in the novel,


I was only thirteen, and they were going to have my psychoanalyzed
and all, because I broke all the windows in the garage. I don't blame them. I really don't. I
slept in the garage the night he died, and I broke all the goddam windows with my fist, just for
the hell of it. I even tried to break all the windows on the station wagon we had that summer,
but my hand was already broken and everything by that time, and I couldn't do it. It was a very
stupid thing to do, I'll admit, but I hardly didn't even know I was doing it, and you didn't
know Allie. ()

Holden smashes the windows in the garage
with his bare handshe is so upset that he breaks his hand in the violent episode. This story,
told in summary, is essential because it shows how adolescents deal with broader issues like
death and loss with violence. Holden has to be psychoanalyzed after the breakdown because he was
so violent that he broke his hand.

This isnt the same as his violence against
Stradler later in the novel, because that is him fighting back against injustice and a bully.
The breaking of the windows is a different type of uncontrollable violence that comes out of the
emotional strain of youth dealing with loss. The episode with the windows helps us understand
Holden through the rest of the novelhis depression, his dislike to other people, and his
constant conversation and focus on his brother. Holden is dealing with grief through the story,
and one way he does that is by violence.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To what degree were the U.S., Great Britain, Germany, the USSR, and Japan successful in regards to their efforts in economic mobilization during the...

This is an enormous question that can't really be answered fully in this small space. But a few generalizations can be made. Bo...