Friday 25 March 2011

How Does Dickens portray the Three Spirits in A Christmas Carol?

The three
spirits each represent the message they are trying to send.  Each ghost is a visualfor its
time.  Marley, for example, is fettered.  The chains are the ones he forged in life, by not
looking out for mankind.

I wear the chain I forged in
life€¦. I made it link by link, and yard by yard; I girded it on of my own free will, and of my
own free will I wore it€¦.(Stave 1, p. 14)

The Ghost of
Christmas past is neither young nor old, demonstrating the fleeting and changing nature of
memories. 

It was a strange figurelike a child: yet not
so like a child as like an old man, viewed through some supernatural medium, which gave him the
appearance of having receded...

href="https://www.owleyes.org/text/christmas-carol/read/preface">

No comments:

Post a Comment

To what degree were the U.S., Great Britain, Germany, the USSR, and Japan successful in regards to their efforts in economic mobilization during the...

This is an enormous question that can't really be answered fully in this small space. But a few generalizations can be made. Bo...