Sunday 30 November 2008

Please give pointers to write a poem called "I am." The poem is supposed to be like Sandy Maas' poem called "I Am." The first stanza starts with "I...

Defined€¦" is perhaps the ultimate
expression of language." Your poem has a specific structure (using "I am€¦" or
"I€¦"), but no rhythm and rhyme. It is, however, still a poem.

Your
assignment will be easier if you separate it into pieces. My students have done something very
similar in the past.

You are first asked to provide a " href="https://www.dictionary.com/browse/stanza"
title="stanza">stanza" (like a paragraph) that
begins with "I am" and list two of your characteristics. I do not
know you and cannot complete your assignment for you, but I can give you an
example for myself:

I am easily entertained
and romantic.

This line provides two of
my characteristics. Characteristics, in general, could include
"generous," "cautious," "out-going", "stubborn,"
"funny," "shy," etc. They act as adjectives in describing
you.

The next part of the same
stanza
(on the next line) asks you to include something
about which you wonder, think or are curious. For example, it could be what would it be like to
travel in outer-space, how it might feel to fly, or how it might feel to live on a
house-boat.

Next line: continue with an imaginary sound"I hear"you
might imagine the sound of a cow laughingthis is imaginary as I do not think cows laugh. (Has
your teacher said it is something that does not exist or something
you have not heard but can only imaginelike the call of a
moose€¦?)

The imaginary "I see" item could be a flying carpet, a
talking dog or an owl that wears glasses.

The last line of this first stanza
repeats the first line that you wrote to start the poem. In my case, I
would write, "I am easily entertained and romantic." (Remember: all of these
items should be on separate lines.
)

Now
skip a full line and begin your
second stanza. Start with "I pretend" and list something that you
have pretended to belike a famous rock star or movie
star, or that you pretend existslike no war. On the next line, write
"I touch" and complete it with something that you touch in your
imagination
: perhaps the coat or skin of some kind of animal. The next line begins
"I worry"list something that you worry about. You don't have to write about something
really personal if you don't want to, but you could write about something littlelike homework or
what to wear. The next line lists something that makes you cry€¦"I cry
about or over"anything that saddens you. The last
line of this stanza is the first line of the poem that you wroterepeated on
this new line. Now you can see a
pattern emerging. Skip a line.


For the third stanza, write the words "I understand"finish the line with
something you know is true. On a new line, write "I say"this is
something you believe in...it could be as simple as "love."  For
the next line, write "I dream" and finish the line with something you actually dream
about. Go one then to the following line and write "I try" and list something you
really make an effort withsomething you try hard at€¦perhaps a sport or school work. Your next
line starts "I hope" and finishes with something you actually
hope for. The last line of the stanza is the repetition of the first line
of the poem that you wrote, "I am€¦"

Double-checkeach stanza has
six lines; each item is on a separate line; and a line is skipped between stanzas. Proofread for
spelling.

Reread the poem and see how these simple lines have created
something like an autobiographywhile still sounding like a poem each line begins with
"I" which is a form of repetition.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To what degree were the U.S., Great Britain, Germany, the USSR, and Japan successful in regards to their efforts in economic mobilization during the...

This is an enormous question that can't really be answered fully in this small space. But a few generalizations can be made. Bo...