Wednesday 30 January 2013

Discuss the significance of "night" in the novel. Cite examples from the story to support your answer.

is often symbolic of evil and death. It comes to represent those
ideas in the concentration camps wherefocuses most of his narrative, and it also comes to
represent a world where he feels that God has abandoned him, leaving him in a spiritual
darkness, or night. Often, the worst of his suffering, both physically and mentally, occurs at
night.

Much of this symbolism is captured in the following quote found in
Chapter 3:

Never shall I forget that
night, the first night in camp, that turned my life into one long
night seven times sealed.

Never shall I forget that smoke.


Never shall I forget the small faces of the children whose bodies I saw transformed
into smoke under a silent sky.

Never shall I forget those flames that
consumed my faith forever.

Never shall I forget the nocturnal silence that
deprived me for all eternity of the desire to live.

Never shall I forget
those moments that murdered my God and my soul and turned my dreams to ashes.


In this quote, Elie equates night with...


No comments:

Post a Comment

To what degree were the U.S., Great Britain, Germany, the USSR, and Japan successful in regards to their efforts in economic mobilization during the...

This is an enormous question that can't really be answered fully in this small space. But a few generalizations can be made. Bo...