Monday 13 February 2012

Elie says concentration camps murdered his God.What images show this throughout the chapter? How does this show the concentration camps didnt only...

Thanks for
the question!

In the third chapter of s Holocaust memoir , the author claims
that his first night in the concentration camp murdered my God and murdered my soul€¦ This
shows that Wiesels experience in the extermination camps didnt only rob him of his family and
health; it forever destroyed his faith and innocence.

Before this moment,
fifteen-year-old Wiesel had been keenly interested in the Jewish religious tradition. The memoir
opens with Wiesels fascination with Moishe the Beadle, who the author believed could lead him
to eternity. Wiesel states he had spent years seeking my God as a teenager. This worldview
would soon change with a brutal introduction to the concentration camps.

In
Chapter 3 of Night, the foundation of Wiesels faith begins to crack even before he enters the
gates of the concentration camps. On the train ride to Auschwitz, he begins to burn with anger
against God,

For the first time, I felt anger rising
within me. Why should I sanctify His name? The Almighty, the eternal and terrible Master of the
Universe, chose to be silent. What was there to thank Him for?


As Wiesel is separated from his family and begins to understand the gravity of the
Jewish peoples predicament, he famously states,

Never
shall I forget those flames that consumed my faith forever.
Never shall I forget the
nocturnal silence that deprived me for all eternity of the desire to live.
Never shall
I forget those moments that murdered my God and my soul and turned my dreams to ashes.


These lines demonstrate that Wiesels faith and innocence were lost
at Auschwitz.

Wiesels struggle with his belief in God becomes a motif
throughout the remainder of the memoir. However, it is important to point out that Wiesel does
not become an atheist €“ he simply refuses to believe a just, compassionate deity could permit
the atrocities of the Holocaust to occur.

I would also note that Wiesel
wasnt alone as he wrestled with his faith. The struggles of many other Jewish prisoners, such as
Akiba Drummer and Hersch Genud, to reconcile their faith with the daily horrors of life in the
concentration camp shows the devastating impact the Holocaust had on Jewish cultural traditions
and belief-systems.

I hope this helps!


No comments:

Post a Comment

To what degree were the U.S., Great Britain, Germany, the USSR, and Japan successful in regards to their efforts in economic mobilization during the...

This is an enormous question that can't really be answered fully in this small space. But a few generalizations can be made. Bo...