Saturday 16 July 2011

What Is Dignity

"Dignity" to me reflects the
self-respect you have for yourself. In this case, then, dignity comes from the choices you make
for yourself, in terms of how you choose to handle yourself on a daily basis.


We try not to embarrass ourselves, but dignity is more than that. For
me
it means avoiding gossip: sharing it or listening to it. It means not listening to
prejudicial jokes or commentsI will simply walk away. I cannot abide listening to people
criticize or make fun of people who are less fortunate, whether it refers to living in poverty,
being homeless, being on drugs, having abortions, being overweight, etc. I can only
imagine how difficult the lives of others are. In this case, it's in
allowing others to have a sense of dignity as well.

And, as Atticus Finch
says, until I can spend some time in someone else's skin, how can I judge them? There are
exceptions: murderers and pedophiles. I just can't wrap my brain around those kinds of people: I
sense theinvolved but cannot put myself in those shoes.

For me, this all
comes back to dignity...putting my "best foot forward." It means setting examples for
youngsters, and letting other adults know what is important to me. I am also religious, so I
feel that setting a good example is especially important for that reason.


Finally, dignity means you don't always have to have the last word. Sticks and
stones...Honestly, if I feel I am right, I have a hard time just walking away. But dignity
includes having enough self-respect and belief in being on the right path, that it shouldn't
matter if I have the last word. (Working on that...)

Dignity should not mean
being a snob. To me, it's more about the choices I make, and those choices
don't have to be the choices of others. I can only be responsible for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To what degree were the U.S., Great Britain, Germany, the USSR, and Japan successful in regards to their efforts in economic mobilization during the...

This is an enormous question that can't really be answered fully in this small space. But a few generalizations can be made. Bo...