Wednesday 17 November 2010

can you differentiate the old generation from the new generation? Can you differentiate the old generation from the new generation?

This is
interesting.  It reminds me of the recent visit and converstions with my mother about discipline
and children.

My parents raised me fairly strictly.  As a result, their
example has influenced the way I try to raise my children - I confess I am almost 'Victorian'
which leads to a lot of stress and conflict.

Imagine my surprise when my
mother said that children were different these days and one needed different methods of
discipline.  The thought that struck me was that as much as we are influenced by the last
'generation', they in turn are influenced in turn.  I wonder if there is really in any value in
talking about generations as though they were unmutable and monolithic?

No comments:

Post a Comment

To what degree were the U.S., Great Britain, Germany, the USSR, and Japan successful in regards to their efforts in economic mobilization during the...

This is an enormous question that can't really be answered fully in this small space. But a few generalizations can be made. Bo...