Friday 20 November 2009

How does Calvin fit in with the Murry family in A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle?

Calvin fits
in perfectly with the Murry family.

Charles Wallace and Meg first meet Calvin
as they are walking through the woods, not far from Mrs. Whatsit's house. Charles is initially
suspicious of Calvin and asks him why he is the woods. Calvin says he sometimes gets feelings or
compulsions he should do something, and he says he always acts on them. Today, he felt a
compulsion to come to these woods. He explains it Charles Wallace as follows:


"When I get this feeling, this compulsion, I always do what it
tells me. I can't explain where it comes from or how I get it, and it doesn't happen very often.
But I obey it. And this afternoon I had a feeling that I must come over to the haunted house.
That's all I know, kid. I'm not holding anything back. Maybe it's because I'm supposed to meet
you. You tell me."

After this, Calvin receives
Charles Wallace's all-important seal of approval. Calvin also doesn't think the Murry family is
odd even though much of the rest of the small community does. He accepts them as they are. One
of eleven children in a dysfunctional family, he is glad to enter into the warm and loving
circle of the Murrys. He gets along easily with Meg and Charles Wallace and is glad to accompany
them on their adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To what degree were the U.S., Great Britain, Germany, the USSR, and Japan successful in regards to their efforts in economic mobilization during the...

This is an enormous question that can't really be answered fully in this small space. But a few generalizations can be made. Bo...