Saturday 25 April 2009

Who is the most noble character in Of Mice and Men and why?

See, I have to
go with . I say Lennie because the poor thing had not a single bad bone in that body. He was
born innocent, lived his life in a child-like state of co-dependence and wonder, and saw no evil
in anything. Everything he did was a consequence of the sad reality that he had to endure, which
is that he was a man with a very low ability level of thinking. He was also an easy prey to
society and yet he never lifted a finger to defend himself. To me, this lack of ability to
defend themselves, and this consistent innocent and childlike behavior puts him in a position
much similar to that of a following dog. And dogs are the noblest animals of them all.  This is
where I get my rationale from, actually. But in all seriousness, I do respect very much the fact
that his goodness and devotion to, his excitement about their future plans, and his love for
petting things. Maybe it is the childlike image I get of him when I think of Lennie what makes
me feel very sad about him...

No comments:

Post a Comment

To what degree were the U.S., Great Britain, Germany, the USSR, and Japan successful in regards to their efforts in economic mobilization during the...

This is an enormous question that can't really be answered fully in this small space. But a few generalizations can be made. Bo...