Thursday 16 April 2009

What do you see as the real reason for Young Goodman Brown's journey in "Young Goodman Brown"? By: Hawthorne

This is a
good question. The story "" opens with a strange exchange between the title character
and his wife, Faith. Faith wants him to stay home, but he replies that he has business in the
woods at night:

"My love and my
Faith," replied young Goodman Brown, "of all nights in the year, this one night must I
tarry away from thee. My journey, as thou callest it, forth and back again, must needs be done
'twixt now and sunrise. What, my sweet, pretty wife, dost thou doubt me already, and we but
three months married!"

Young Goodman Brown
clearly has some sort of business in the forest, the reader is told, and this business must
take...

No comments:

Post a Comment

To what degree were the U.S., Great Britain, Germany, the USSR, and Japan successful in regards to their efforts in economic mobilization during the...

This is an enormous question that can't really be answered fully in this small space. But a few generalizations can be made. Bo...