Thursday 18 December 2008

What is a good thesis statement in support of sex education in public schools?

A good
thesis statement will let your reader know what your essay is about and what your position is on
that topic.  Sometimes we also include in a thesis statement a bit of a "preview" of
how we will support our opinon. 

Let's look at an example:


Suppose I were writing an essay on President Obama's effort to reform healthcare.  I
would have to let the reader know that was what my paper was about.  I would also need to let
the reader know my position.  In the thesis statement, I can also let the reader know what
points I am going to make to suppport my position.  Here is one possible thesis statement I
could create:

President Obama's efforts to reform
healthcare should be supported because people should not have to make choices between eating and
seeking medical attention, because unhealthy people harm the economy, and because no other
civilized country fails to provide healthcare to its citizens. 


Do you see how, in just one sentence, I have told the reader I am going to be talking
about President Obama's healthcare plans, my position on those plans, and the reasons I have
taken this position?

You can use the same strategy to create a thesis
statement about your position on sex education in school.  Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

To what degree were the U.S., Great Britain, Germany, the USSR, and Japan successful in regards to their efforts in economic mobilization during the...

This is an enormous question that can't really be answered fully in this small space. But a few generalizations can be made. Bo...