Saturday 26 May 2012

How would you direct Act I scene 1 of Macbeth, considering such aspects as setting, props, lighting, sound effects, costumes and acting? How would you...

I'm inclined
to agree with # 6: productions that depart so far from what Shakespeare's audience is likely to
have witnessed can be interesting in their own rights, but the creativity then belongs to the
modern director rather than to the original playwright. A production of
set in a Walmart withas greeters and Ladyas the head cashier might be interesting to watch
(although I doubt it), but it is the kind of production that Shakespeare himself could
(probably) never have imagined. (I say "probably" because Shakespeare was a highly
imaginative human being if there ever was one.) Many such productions seem to assume that the
power of the play as originally conceived is not powerful enough. This, I think, is a mistaken
assumption.

I think I'd much rather watch am amateur production of
Macbeth.

class="c-video">

No comments:

Post a Comment

To what degree were the U.S., Great Britain, Germany, the USSR, and Japan successful in regards to their efforts in economic mobilization during the...

This is an enormous question that can't really be answered fully in this small space. But a few generalizations can be made. Bo...