Sunday 29 January 2012

What are the character traits of Romeo in Romeo and Juliet? Provide textual evidence.

In
Shakespeare's ,goes on an emotional journey from a shallow, irresponsible,
love-struck teenager to a more mature, deeply passionate, and compassionate young man.


Romeo is ordinarily level-headed, thoughtful, and relatively mature (for a teenager),
as evidenced in his attempt to reason withto avoid fighting him.


ROMEO: Tybalt, the reason that I have to love thee
Doth much excuse the
appertaining rage
To such a greeting. Villain am I none.
Therefore farewell. I
see thou knowest me not.

TYBALT: Boy, this shall not excuse the
injuries
That thou hast done me; therefore turn and draw.

ROMEO: I
do protest I never injur'd thee,
But love thee better than thou canst
devise
Till thou shalt know the reason of my love;
And so good Capulet, which
name I tender
As dearly as mine own, be satisfied. [3.1.61€“71]


To mediate between the two hotheads, Tybalt and , Romeo says the
following:

ROMEO: Gentle Mercutio, put thy rapier
up.

MERCUTIO: Come, sir, your passado!


















































No comments:

Post a Comment

To what degree were the U.S., Great Britain, Germany, the USSR, and Japan successful in regards to their efforts in economic mobilization during the...

This is an enormous question that can't really be answered fully in this small space. But a few generalizations can be made. Bo...