Tuesday 7 December 2010

Paraphrase (line by line) the poem "Mirror" By Sylvia Plath.

I am made of shiny
metal, and I am truthful. I do not judge.
When I see something, I take it into myself
in right away
Just the way it really is, without any emotion to color it.
I'm
not mean, I only tell the truth,
I'm like a small god's eye, with four
corners.
I usually just stare at the wall across from me.
The wall is spotted
and pink. I have stared at this wall for such a long time that
I believe it is
actually part of me. However, the wall sometimes disappears.
It disappears behind
people's faces and sometimes darkness, again and again.

Now, I'm a calm body
of water, and a woman is peering into me,
Looking deeply to see the truth in her own
reflection.
But she returns to items that don't tell her the truth: candlelight or
moonlight.
I am looking at her back now, and I show it truthfully too.
She
cries and wrings her hands when she sees me.
I feel she believes I am important. She's
here and then she's gone.
In the mornings, I see her face after the
darkness.
When she looks into me, she sees her lost youth, and, her age
emerges,
Getting closer every day, like a frightening fish.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To what degree were the U.S., Great Britain, Germany, the USSR, and Japan successful in regards to their efforts in economic mobilization during the...

This is an enormous question that can't really be answered fully in this small space. But a few generalizations can be made. Bo...