Tuesday 8 September 2009

In "The Raven," does the speaker's conversation with the Raven make him more and more miserable?

Yes,
I believe that the mood of the poem's speaker gets worse as he "converses" with the
raven. But it should be noted that the speaker's mood does not exactly start all that happy,
either. We are told right from the first two stanzas that he is weak, weary, and full of sorrow.
He's grieving, and he is exhausted from it. The knocking at the door momentarily pulls him out
of his depressed state, and he puts on a cheery front.


Presently my soul grew stronger; hesitating then no longer,
Sir, said I, or Madam, truly your forgiveness I implore;
But the fact is I was napping, and so gently you came rapping,
And so faintly you came tapping, tapping at my chamber door,
That I scarce was sure I heard you.
The
raven will eventually enter the narrator's house and perch above his chamber door. At this
point, the narrator is actually somewhat amused and curious about the bird. He even goes so far
as to ask the bird its name. (Talking...

No comments:

Post a Comment

To what degree were the U.S., Great Britain, Germany, the USSR, and Japan successful in regards to their efforts in economic mobilization during the...

This is an enormous question that can't really be answered fully in this small space. But a few generalizations can be made. Bo...